Monday, February 25, 2008

Hooked on Phonics Celebration!

Maybe sleeping on all of those books has finally paid off (a previous post).
Last Saturday we celebrated Desheng Darling’s completion of the Kindergarten level Hooked on Phonics kit! She started the program awhile back and took about a 4-month break when Doodlebug joined our family, but last Friday she read the last (41st) book in the kindergarten series. She completed most of these books while she was only 4 yrs. old. I have been amazed at how well she has done. We celebrated by taking her to a small donut shop and letting her choose whatever she wanted. She chose a simple donut with pink frosting.
I managed to take these pictures just before DD’s last bite.
Doodlebug chose one with sprinkles and as usual,
she had her own way of doing things. Lol ! I wonder if they would just sell us the sprinkles next time.

Now on a serious note… DD will be old enough to start to school next fall. I am really struggling with what we should do. I spent almost 20 years in the public school system as a teacher and a principal. I really do not want to enroll DD in public school. I am considering home schooling her…although I realize that there may be diverse opinions regarding the benefits of home schooling. We have a local private Christian school in our area that I would love for her to attend, but the tuition is just beyond our budget right now. I realize that she needs social interaction, but I had rather that she get it in some way other than public school. If any of my blog readers participate in home school, I would love to hear what you have to say. Any suggestions on good curriculum from a Christian perspective?

We are so proud of Desheng Darling's accomplishments! I hope her love of reading will continue throughout her life. Hopefully, in the future, she’ll choose something with fewer calories as a reward! Lol

8 comments:

liasmomma said...

I am planning on homeschooling Lia and I have been really researching curric. so we should talk. I can't get into my e-mail right now for some reason so when I can I'll e-mail you with what I've found.

Trish

Anonymous said...

Ha ha -- I think some of Cousin Toria may have rubbed off on Doodles during our December visit -- she always ate chicken legs from the top and pizza from the crust when she was younger...what weird(wonderful)kids we've got!!!

Congratulations DD on completing your Hooked on Phonics Kindergarten level!! Yay Yay Yay! We think you may be able to whiz through those books/workbooks we sent you for your birthday, if you haven't already.

MamaDarling, Do you ever access the Christianity Today website? They have a whole center devoted to homeschooling:
http://www.christianitytoday.com/homeschool/

Maybe that would help. Send me an email! :)
Much Love, the Desert Rats

Anonymous said...

DD doesn't NEED to be in public school. There are too many bad influences there. I suggest you have her watch "Kenny Rogers presents True West Videos"! It is an adequate education.

Saddletramp

Mama Darling said...

Why does your response not surprise me? You're a HOOT, Saddletramp! Your suggestion is being taken under advisement. I'll let you know what we decide:)

Adele said...

I am so proud of DD!!! I know you are so proud of her. She deserves a fattening dessert for all of her hard work.
By the way, love your new blog look!!!

GloryandGrace said...

You may want to look into co-op homeschooling as well. That's an idea, and although I know that I won't know for SURE how my children will receive their education when the time comes, homeschool is much more a possibility than it was just a couple of years ago. You can also contact "CaliTexans," one of PandaMom's friends (link is on her sidebar) who has been homeschooling her oldest son. She may be able to give you pointers on curriculum!

The Spicer Family said...

Momma Darling, there is a huge homeschooling convention near us in May. I would love to take you over there and show you some of the choices, and help you to 'think through' what type of homeschooling you and DD might like, because there are sure lots of types! You might also ask Melissa A. or Cheryl D. about the university model school their children attend.

I really, really, really love our curriculum, particularly because it has a world-wide view of Christianity, history, etc. The kids also like it, although that is a happy byproduct, not the guiding factor! Anyway, I'd love to talk with you about it anytime...

Mommy Spice said...

That is awesome. Way to go D.D. Gotta love the donuts. Mmmmmm, wish I could have one.

Can't help much with the homeschooling. I'm probably going back into the public school system and taking S.G. with me.